Coconut Development Officer – AROB
Position Title Coconut Development Officer
Position Number KIKIS23
Division Industry Services
Reports To Coconut Development Officer
Location Buka, AROB
Pay Grade Grade 9
Coconut Development Officer is to facilitate for coconut farmers, processors and/or MSMEs, traders and exporters to adopt new and improved research-induced information and technologies to improve farm level management, crop productivity, soil fertility, processing and quality improvement, and pest and disease management and control to increase coconut activity and income within the coconut growing province.
- Essential Duties
- Manages coconut development programs at Provincial and District Levels.
- Liaise and establish partnerships with stakeholders at the provincial and district levels in-order to have sound working relationship.
- Facilitates and establishes organized farmer groups for easy delivery of information and technology.
- Mobilizes farmers into co-operatives or production units that would allow for mobilizing or pooling of resources.
- Facilitates and stimulates linkages between farmer groups and or cooperative groups with value adders.
- Researches and gives awareness of potential on coconut growing areas.
- Develops coconut replanting programs in partnership with private sectors.
- Facilitates training and awareness on product diversification and process technologies application.
- Develops and promotes new HVCPs to increase farm level income.
- Develops production skills of HVCP for smallholder farmers.
- Facilitates skills training (smallholder farmers/processors) on process technology application.
- Carry out licensed and export inspections and certifications.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Coconut Development Officer from time to time.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
This position will supervise field officers, office attendants and driver.
- Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Normally a Bachelor’s degree in either Agriculture Science or Tropical Agriculture or its equivalent from a recognized university. Should have at least six years related work experience in the coconut industry or a related commodity industry. Should understand the major coconut research, development and extension issues confronting the coconut industry in PNG.
In addition, the following are also essential for the position:
- Experience in using micro soft excel and access programs for analyzing agriculture data for developing commodity-based enterprises in rural communities.
- Familiar with microeconomic analysis of agriculture industries in PNG.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.